Scientific illiteracy abounds, including and especially in medicine.
This succinct Forbes article, “10 Questions to Distinguish Real From Fake Science,” helps identify bogus enterprises and claims.
Consider these guidelines during your next bout of insomnia when you find yourself watching infomercials or the next time a vaccine denier spouts their dangerous rhetoric. Or perhaps the next time you are asked to review or pay for an unsubstantiated treatment course based upon absent scientific evidence and clear self-interests.
Below are the top-10 questions you should ask yourself before buying into the latest miracle weight-loss pill, anti-again cream, or magical bracelets that will set your world in balance.
- What is the source?
- What is the agenda?
- What kind of language does it use?
- Does it involve testimonials?
- Are there claims of exclusivity?
- Is there mention of a conspiracy of any kind?
- Does the claim involve multiple unassociated disorders?
- Is there a money trail or a passionate belief involved?
- Were real scientific processes involved?
- Is there expertise?
Leave a Reply